Dec 05, 2022
Students can receive a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies with Texas teacher certification in Early Childhood through 12th grade Languages Other Than English (LOTE) - Spanish. The course work for the LOTE-Spanish also includes preparation for the bilingual education certification. Once certified in Texas, a LOTE-Spanish teacher may add other certifications by completing the appropriate examinations.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Patsy Sosa-Sanchez, Phone: 972-338-1527, Email: Patsy.Sosafirstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for the Recommended Course Sequence degree plan.
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Prerequisite Coursework: Prior to admission to the Emerging Teacher Institute, students complete a Spanish placement test or 12 hours of prerequisite Spanish courses or CLEP/AP.
- Content Requirements: Completion of 33 hours designated as the required interdisciplinary coursework.
- Application to the Teacher Education Program: All students are required to complete the application process to be accepted into the Teacher Education Program prior to enrolling in the LOTE EC-12 teacher education certification sequence. See the Teacher Education Program admission requirements at the end of this section.
- Teacher Education Requirements: 24 hours of coursework for teacher certification.
- Bilingual Education Courses: 9 hours of coursework for the bilingual education certification.
- Clinical Requirements: 18 hours of clinical and student teaching coursework.
- Other Courses: Students must have a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate with a degree from UNTD. Other elective courses may be required.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established in Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. For Freshman students starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the major.
Content Requirements, 33 hours
Courses are three semester credit hours unless otherwise noted. Must maintain a GPA of 2.75 or higher with “C” or better in each course.
Teacher Education Requirements, 24 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the core.
LOTE Certification Pathway, 9 hours
- Select any 6 semester credit hours from 3000 or 4000 level Spanish courses.
- Select any 3 semester credit hours from 3000 or 4000 level EDBE, LING, SPAN.
Clinical Requirements, 18 hours
Clinical I: Methods
Clincial II: Clinical Teaching
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the General University Requirements as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Major GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Grade of C or better in all core and major courses.