Feb 25, 2024
A Bachelor of Arts in chemistry will enhance the academic portfolio of the institution by increasing the number of STEM graduates in hard math. It will also bring UNT-Dallas to match over 30 Texas institutes of higher education (public and private). This undergraduate program in chemistry introduces students to the science and profession of chemistry. Students who plan a future in the health professions, teaching, or advanced studies in chemistry can work to earn a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry. A Bachelor of Arts is a more generalist degree where students can choose their electives and tailor their pathway toward their desired outcomes.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Muhammed Yousufuddin, Phone: 972-338-1528, Email: Muhammed.Yousufuddin@untdallas.edu.
Click here for the Recommended Course Sequence degree plan.
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Major Requirements: The chemistry major (BA) requires 24 hours of required in chemistry.
- Major Electives: 12 hours of electives in advanced chemistry and biology courses.
- Supporting Science/Math Requirements: Students are required to complete 22 hours of physics, mathematics and Spanish courses to enhance the understanding of the major requirements.
- Other Courses: Students must have a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate with a degree from UNTD. Students may complete a minor, certificate program or general elective courses to meet this requirement.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established in Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. As a new Freshman student starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the major.
Major Requirements, 24 hours
Courses are three semester credit hours unless otherwise noted. Must maintain a GPA of 2.00.
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the core.
Major Electives, 12 hours
- One approved Advanced Chemistry course.
- Three approved Advanced Chemistry/Biology courses.
Additional Requirements, 22 hours
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the General University Requirements as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Chemistry major GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Grade of C or better in all major courses.
Total hours to complete degree: 120 semester credit hours