The University of North Texas at Dallas encourages students to travel safely to and from UNT Dallas sponsored activities or events.
This policy applies to the travel of enrolled students to attend UNT Dallas organized or sponsored events that occur more than 25 miles from the UNT Dallas campus and the travel is either required by a registered student organization or requires the use of a vehicle that is owned or leased by UNT Dallas.
Sponsored activities or events may include but are not limited to course-related field trips, recreational sports club trips, the activities of registered student organizations and meetings of academic organizations where a student is officially representing UNT Dallas.
This policy does not apply to individual student travel to engage in student teaching, internships, practicum, observations or research, unless the research is organized by a member of the UNT Dallas faculty.
Appropriate administrator. “Appropriate administrator” means a dean, department chair or their designee in regard to travel for academic programs or the designated official within Student Affairs for travel related to registered student organizations.
Enrolled student. “Enrolled student” means a student who has been admitted to and is attending classes at UNT Dallas.
Organized event. “Organized event” means an event that is initiated, planned and arranged by a member of the UNT Dallas faculty or staff, or by the members of a registered student organization, and is approved by an appropriate administrator.
Sponsored event. “Sponsored event” means an activity or event that UNT Dallas endorses by supporting it financially or by sending students to participate as official representatives of UNT Dallas.
Procedures and Responsibilities
- Travel Authorization. Travel undertaken in accordance with this policy must be authorized in advance by the appropriate administrator and is subject to additional requirements as established in guidelines developed by the Student Affairs. A request for authorization to travel must be accompanied by:
- A list of all student travelers including their names, local addresses, phone numbers and phone number of persons to contact in the case of an emergency.
- The name and phone number of the responsible UNT Dallas employee(s) who will be available to assist the student travelers at all times during travel.
- Copies of valid driver’s licenses for any student who will operate the vehicle.
- Health insurance information on any student that has health insurance.
- Guidelines for Safe Travel. Student Affairs will work with appropriate risk management professionals to develop guidelines to protect the safety of enrolled students when traveling to and from University sponsored and/or organized events. At a minimum the guidelines must include provisions addressing:
- Use of Seat Belts and Other Safety Devices. Students must use seat belts and all other vehicle safety devices at all times when traveling in a vehicle that is owned or leased by UNT Dallas.
- Passenger Capacity. Travel in vans with a capacity to hold 15 or more passengers must be approved in advance by Student Affairs. Actual passenger capacity in a 15 passenger van is restricted to 10 or fewer passengers, including the driver.
- Driver Training and Qualification. All students who operate vehicles that are owned or leased by UNT Dallas must be at least 18 years of age, possess a valid driver’s license, have current automobile liability insurance, and have a good motor vehicle driver history. Additionally, student drivers must satisfy all other qualifications and training requirements established by Student Affairs.
- Fatigue and Time of Travel. Students traveling to and from University sponsored events and/or activities should have a minimum of six (6) hours of sleep before traveling and drive no more than 500 miles in a 24-hour period. Students may not drive between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. unless authorized by the organization advisor or Student Affairs.
- Privately Owned Vehicles. Students who travel in a privately owned vehicle or any vehicle other than those owned or leased by UNT Dallas when traveling to and/or from a sponsored event or activity must follow the guidelines established by Student Affairs and all applicable state law.
- Travel by Air and Other Modes of Commercial Transportation. Students traveling by air or other modes of commercial transportation must comply with all federal laws regulating the specific mode of travel and rules of the specific common carrier, including laws and rules regarding carry-on baggage and baggage weight restrictions.
- International Travel. Students must comply with UNT Dallas policies and procedures related to international travel. Students engaged in international travel are responsible for satisfying all international travel requirements, including obtaining a valid passport, obtaining appropriate health and other insurance, establishing safe points of contact in the host country, and following travel advisories issued by the United States Department of State, the host country or other recognized international organization.
- Alcohol, Illegal Drugs and Weapons Prohibited. All students traveling to and from sponsored activities and/or events are prohibited from consuming or possessing alcohol or illegal drugs and transporting weapons in vehicles owned or leased by UNT Dallas.
- Travel Authorization. Registered student organizations that require students to travel to sponsored events or activities must obtain advance written approval for such travel from Student Affairs. When transportation is provided by UNT Dallas, students traveling to events on the UNT Dallas provided transportation must return in the UNT Dallas provided transportation unless authorized in advance by the Office of Student Life to do otherwise. Students under the age of eighteen (18) will not be authorized to return in a vehicle other than the vehicle provided by UNT Dallas.
- Travel to Areas Declared a Natural Disaster. All registered student organizations wishing to travel to areas that have been declared a natural disaster or have been placed under a travel warning must seek advance written approval from Student Affairs. If travel is approved, students must assure that all emergency contact information is updated in the Office of the Registrar and must confirm approval of the absence in accordance with UNT Dallas attendance policies.
- Compliance and Enforcement. UNT Dallas departments that encourage or require travel to sponsored events or activities must verify that students are familiar with the requirements of this policy and the guidelines issued by Student Affairs. Any violation of this policy must be reported to Student Affairs.
University employees who authorize students to drive leased vehicles to any sponsored event or activity must verify that the student meets the requirements of state law and Student Affairs for the operation of a leased vehicle.
Students and student organizations that violate this policy or the guidelines established by Student Affairs may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.