UNT Dallas’s Public Health degree offers a broad-based and interdisciplinary curriculum designed to prepare students for a range of public health occupations. The Bachelor of Science program in Public Health is ideal for students interested in careers in the health professions, including pharmacy, dentistry, physician assistant, veterinary, and medical sciences.
Public Health students from UNT Dallas can take advantage of the UNT Health Science Center (UNTHSC) Public Health Certificate online program. The course credits taken to complete the Public Health graduate certificate at UNTHSC can apply to the bachelor degree in public health here at UNT Dallas.
Benefits of this program include:
- Up to 15 credits that will count toward both the bachelors and graduate certificate.
- Convenient online course delivery.
- Certificate courses with a grade of “B” or better qualify for transfer into the Masters of Public Health (MPH) degree* at UNTHSC.
*Admission to the MPH program is not guaranteed to certificate students.
Eligible UNT Dallas students must meet the following criteria:
- Current Public Health student at UNT Dallas
- A grade of “B” of better in PBHL 4310 - Epidemiology
- Minimum 72 undergraduate credit hours completed
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Approval by the UNT Dallas Program Liaison (Dr. Corron Sanders)
Contact Dr. Corron Sanders at Corron.Sanders@untdallas.edu for information on how to apply for the graduate Public Health Certificate program at UNTHSC.
Program Coordinator (Public Health, BS): Dr. Corron Sanders, Email: Corron.Sanders@untdallas.edu
Click here for the Recommended Course Sequence degree plan.
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Math and Science Requirements: Students are required to complete 14 hours of courses to enhance the understanding of the major requirements.
- Major Requirements: Students complete 24 hours of public health core and 18 hours of major elective courses.
- Other Courses: Students must have a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate with a degree from UNTD. Students may complete a minor, certificate program or general elective courses to meet this requirement.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established in Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. As a new Freshman student starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the major.
Math and Science Requirements, 14 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the core.
Major Requirements, 24 hours
Major Advanced Electives, 6 hours
Complete six credit hours of any Public Health advanced elective courses. Please contact your academic advisor regarding your Public Health electives.
Any Natural Science Electives, 12 hours
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Must maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher with “C” or better in each course.
Total hours to complete degree: 120 semester credit hours