Dec 05, 2022
Students can receive a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies with Texas teacher certification in 4-8 grades in mathematics and English as a second language (ESL) certification. Obtaining the ESL certification increases employability and success in the classroom.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Gwen Johnson, Phone: 972-338-1320, Email: Gwendolyn.Johnson@untdallas.edu
Click here for the Recommended Course Sequence degree plan.
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Content Requirements: 29 hours of coursework
- Application to the Teacher Education Program: All students are required to complete the application process to be accepted into the Teacher Education Program prior to enrolling in coursework meeting the Teacher Education Requirements.
- Teacher Education Requirements: 12 hours of coursework for teacher certification.
- English as Second Language (ESL) Pathway Certification: 12 hours of coursework that applied to ESL certification.
- Clinical Requirements: 15 hours of clinical and student teaching coursework.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established in Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. For Freshman students starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the major.
Content Requirements, 29 hours
Courses are three semester credit hours unless otherwise noted. Must maintain a GPA of 2.75 or higher with “C” or better in each course.
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the core.
Teacher Education Requirements, 12 hours
ESL Certification Pathway, 12 hours
Clinical Requirements, 15 hours
Clinical I: Methods
Clincial II: Clinical Teaching
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the General University Requirements as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Major GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Grade of C or better in all core and major courses.