Biology is a scientific study of the living world that leads to careers in education, health, environmental science, forensic biology, scientific journalism, and research. Studies in biology give us a way to understand nature and the interconnectedness of all living things. This field is important to everyday life because it allows us to better understand ourselves, our natural resources, and the potential threats that would alter, damage, or destroy our environment. The UNT Dallas Bachelor of Arts in Biology prepares students to go into education, journalism, environmental management, and research.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Muhammed Yousufuddin, Phone: 972-338-1528, Email: Muhammed.Yousufuddin@untdallas.edu
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Major Requirements: The biology major (BA) requires 23 hours of required in biology.
- Supporting Science Requirements: Students are required to complete 15 hours of courses to enhance the understanding of the major requirements.
- Major Electives: 12 hours of electives in advanced biology courses.
- Life Science 7th-12th Certification: Students must complete 24 credit hours of courses to earn the Life Science 7th-12th certificate.
- Other Courses: Students must have a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate with a degree from UNTD. Students may complete a minor, certificate program or general elective courses to meet this requirement.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established in Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. As a new Freshman student starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the major.
Major Requirements, 23 hours
Courses are three semester credit hours unless otherwise noted. Must maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher with “C” or better in each course.
Courses with an asterisk (*) also count for the core.
Supporting Science Requirements, 15 hours
Major Electives, 12 hours
- Four approved Advanced Biology elective courses.
Life Science 7-12 Certification, 24 hours
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the General University Requirements as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Biology major GPA of 2.0 or higher