Mathematics is the study of the measurement, properties, and relationships of quantities and sets, using numbers and symbols. It is a body of related courses concerned with knowledge of measurement, properties, and relations quantities, which can include theoretical or applied studies of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, and calculus.
Program Coordinator: Dr. Richard Chandler, Phone: 972-338-1588, Email: Richard.Chandler@untdallas.edu
Building Blocks for the Degree
- Texas Core Curriculum: All students are required to complete 42 hours of the Texas Core Curriculum to earn a degree.
- Major Requirements: The mathematics major requires 36 hours of required math courses. Student must earn a grade of C or better in designated courses (above Math 3350).
- Computer Science and Spanish: Students are required to complete 9 hours of courses to enhance the understanding of the major requirements.
- Math Electives: Students must complete 15 hours of Math electives, 9 hours of which must be 3XXX or above.
- General Electives, Minor or Double Major: Students must complete an additional 18 hours, which may be fulfilled by general electives, a minor, or a double major. Nine of these hours must be 3XXX or above.
Core Curriculum Recommendations
UNTD adheres to the Texas Core Curriculum established inn Texas Education Code Chapter 61, Subchapter S. Courses designated on the transcript as a Core Foundation Area will be applied to the Texas Core Curriculum. As a new Freshman students starting at UNTD (or transfer student looking ahead to attend UNTD), taking the recommended UNTD courses (or equivalent) can reduce hours to degree and/or provide more opportunities for elective courses.
Texas Core Curriculum, 42 hours
Major Requirements, 36 hours
Computer Science and Spanish, 9 hours
Math Electives, 15 hours
- Select any 6 semester credit hours from any level Mathematics courses.
- Select any 9 semester credit hours from 3000- or 4000-level Mathematics courses.
General Electives, Minor, or Double Major
- 18 hours, 9 semester credit hours must be 3000- or above.
Additional UNTD Degree Requirements
- All students must meet the General University Requirements as well as the major requirements.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Math major GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Grade of C or better in Math courses above 3350
- * Must have a grade of C or better in designated courses above.
- 1Formerly MATH 1710
- 2Formerly MATH 1720
- 3Formerly MATH 2730